Re: The Glorantha Digest V6 #32

From: Brian Tickler <tickler_at_netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 20:24:20 -0700 (PDT)

Ingo:
> RQ AND Glorantha together are dead - IMO that is fact, but who cares? RQ Slayers
> will dying as soon as it will published but I don't think this will happen to
> Heroes Wars. See on this digest, the people are dicussing only about Glorantha
> and not RQ. I want to play on Glorantha and the rules are not so important for
> me.
>
> IMO it is much to early to speak of a dying Gloranthan game yet.

Just one interesting note here: you seem as certain that Runequest Slayers will fail as you are that HW will succeed. What make you so positive that HW won't just suffer the exact same fate as Runequest Slayers (I won't argue with you on the latter games fate :)...)?

Digest aquaintances notwithstanding, most of the gamers I know who've played in RQ/Glorantha are of the opinion that RQ (the system) was at least as much a factor in the initial success of the RQ2 as Glorantha (the world), if not more so...in the early 80's there were several factors that drew people over from D&D:

  1. Realistic combat system instead of abstract hit points/armor class
  2. Everybody gets magic/skills
  3. Small, well-fleshed-out area to play in (Dragon Pass/Prax)
  4. Cults, which were a big step up from picking an alignment and a god/goddess in D&D
  5. Playing Trolls

Number 5 was the biggest draw (dispute if you must, but it's definitely true for the San Francisco gaming scene in that timeframe)...number 1 and 2 were next. People didn't even find out about 3 & 4 until they got into the game.

> Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 15:01:44 -0700
> From: Shannon Appel <appel_at_erzo.org>
> Subject: Re: Death of Gloranthan Gaming
>
> A few comments on Brian's recent posting:
>
> >- Issaries Inc. efforts floundering
>
> You've been very direly misinformed if you've gotten that impression.
> I've now seen parts of the first four Issaries manuscripts: An
> Introduction to Glorantha, Hero Wars, Sartar, and The Orlanthi
> Player's Guide. A very agressive publication schedule has been set out
> for the first two years, and the first score or so books have been
> planned. I'd say the future of Glorantha, as laid out by Issaries,
> looks brighter than it has at just about any other time in the last 20
> years. No hyperbole there either. This is going to be real cool.

Ok, that sounds wonderful, but how exactly is what you're saying any different than Chaosium touting Dorastor and Masters of Luck and Death way back when? What is this fundamental change in Chaosium that is going to make the results different this time around? Sorry to be harsh, but (revisionist history on the Digest aside), Chaosium has proved to be just as poor at producing timely RQ/Glorantha product as AH ever was...

> >- Recent Glorantha-cons ill-attended and poorly reviewed
>
> Prior to 1992 there *weren't* RuneQuest cons (unless the German one is
> older?).

In its heyday, RQ was a presence at RPG cons in general, it didn't have "isolated" cons...so I don't really buy this argument.

> >- Commericial publications halted, fan-published materials fading fast
>
> I count three solid fan publications right now: Tales of the Reaching
> Moon, Book of Drastic Resolutions, and Tradetalk.

(I'll add Enclosures since Shannon does in a later post...)

As we now know, the term "solid" is somewhat relative... :/

Jeff Richard:
> Finally I'd like to make a comment or two about Mr. Tickler's rather
> pointless claims about the "slow death" of Glorantha. My first comment is
> not going to be printed since it is nothing more than an obscene ad hominem
> attack upon Mr. Tickler's sexual prowess or lack thereof.

Hmmm, gee, thanks for sparing me from that attack...