Re: Bats & Wolves

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 05:49:11 +0100

Erik muses exquisitely on low-culture Vampires, and adds:

> Where do the bats and wolves come from? Any nice mythic connections
> to explain them? Don't know if there were any other in the real world
> other than that they were considered generally nasty.

Both bats (cf. the Crimson Bat) and wolves (cf. the Gbaji Wars) are tainted by Chaos, in an orthodox Orlanthi viewpoint. I once thought that maybe Western vampires could shapechange to wolves, and Pelorian vampires could shapechange to bats. This would mean that the vampires from the part of the world where Peloria and the West overlapped would be particularly nasty. Anyone surprised to learn that this is Carmania?

I don't think this any more, BTW, but someone out there may.

Nick
:::: web: <http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Nick_Brooke>