Re: The Glorantha Digest V6 #61

From: Brian Tickler <tickler_at_netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 21:25:51 -0700 (PDT)

> Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 00:40:59 -0500
> From: <styopa_at_iname.com>
> Subject: HW and game system focus
>
> My gaming group has played for years together - since at least '83 - and we
> are all pretty much the same way. We spend (or spent, before RL came to
> dominate our time and $$) a LOT of time on characterization, and I can say
> that by & large the characters we play are NOT simply 2D combat machines -
> far from it. But I play to get something out of the game that I CAN'T get
> in real life. If I want to haggle, hell, I'll short pay a vendor at work
> and then I'll have MORE than enough opportunity to "role play" the ensuing
> arguments! :)

Sadly though, we're not allowed to play that way anymore. Where have you been? Liking combat is unenlightened...and actually wanting your character to grow and develope and become...*gasp*...more powerful...sacrilege! Please just open your package with the pre-gen vegaterian midwife character in it, read it, and start talking in a high voice...no, no, put the dice-bag away...tsk, you're backsliding again... :)

> I didn't start this to evangelize, but I will if only a bit. There have
> been a number of systems out there that have been "task based" as HW is
> vaguely sounding. I've played many and the more you abstractify (?) the
> events in which your character is participating, the more disconnected you
> are from your character, IMO. The reason I came to RuneQuest all those
> years ago was BECAUSE the concept of "Armor Class" was too damn contrived
> and "Levels" of experience just plain silly. Yet on a spectrum from
> Realistic (RQ2/3) to Abstract (HW?) AD&D is distinctly closer to the HW end.

Bingo. Give that man a cigar...

> I'm *tired* of paradigm shifts. Just make a game, support it, and stick
> with it. Sure I'll check out Hero Wars...I'm an unrepantant
> Gloranthaphile. But from what I've seen, my expectations are pretty low.
> If it's tremendously well supported I may change my mind. I hope the new
> supplements are printed before the next 'trend' in RPGs hits, and requires
> the creation of a Whole New Game (tm).....again.

I'm sorry, but now you're going to have to join those other crazy old coots over there in the corner...over there, by the sign that says "Gamers who will not accept the joy and harmony of the new way." It's getting crowded over there...hmmm...

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #101