Reanimating the RQ zombie

From: Simon Hibbs <simonh_at_msi-uk.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 13:46:33 +0100

>....in the early 80's there were several factors that drew
>people over from D&D:
>
>1. Realistic combat system instead of abstract hit points/armor >class
>2. Everybody gets magic/skills
>3. Small, well-fleshed-out area to play in (Dragon Pass/Prax)
>4. Cults, which were a big step up from picking an alignment >and a
god/goddess in D&D
>5. Playing Trolls

I remember it well. However that was almost 20 years ago, before MtG and computer games. The whole structure of the hobby is different now. Also, many other games have comprable advantages. RQ is nolonger anything special compared to GURPS, Earthdawn or any number of other game systems.

>Ok, that sounds wonderful, but how exactly is what you're >saying any
different than Chaosium touting Dorastor and >Masters of Luck and Death way back when?

They have a professional writer with a formidable reputation on retainer. His output is in the hands of an active circle of playtesters. The material actualy, demonstrably, physicaly exists. I'm not saying disaster can't possible strike, but the HW bandwagon is a living thing and I want to be part of it.

Anyway unless you hadn't heard, Dorastor and Lords of Terror were actualy published, and I played MOLAD at the Convulsion heroquest party! ;)

Simon Hibbs