More Vadeli

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 00:51:09 +1200 (NZST)

Michael Cule:

>What *I* meant when I put the idea forward at Convulsion, was that the Laws
>of Malkion (including the rigid caste definitions but not including the
>ethical stuff that Malkion put together as a response to the decay of the
>world) was one Logical response, one pattern of behaviour that worked and
>sustained immortal life.

I don't think it was quite like that. I think it was more along the lines of deducing from the presence of changeable objects that there are unchangeable objects. This is the stuff of everyday philosowanking.

But instead of concluding that since the human mind is capable of perceiving these unchanageable objects, that the human mind is itself unchangeable and thus exists beyond death, Malkion did something different. He found those truths which upon being held in mind, would lead to the unchangable nature of the human mind and body.

>But Logic has to have premises and assumptions and the Vadeli have
>different assumptions and premises and we know that these also work
>to maintain immortal life.

My take on this revolves around the Three Vadeli Elements: Shit, Blood and Death. Each of these has an observable and unchanging part in the life/death dichotomy. For example, Shit is decay incarnate yet creates new life if spread about in the fields. By embodying these elements, the Vadeli become unchanging and thus immortal.

This does raise the question of just why the Vadeli chose those elements. My guess is that they were the elements that could be perceived as being part of the human body and not the unliving elements like fire, darkness and so forth.

However I do not believe the Vadeli and Brithini methods are capable of sustaining immortality indefinitely. They have to keep on inventing new crutches (like eating babies and immortality spells) to hold of the ravages of time.