procreation and the death rune

From: Tom Merchant <elysia69_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 07:06:57 -0700 (PDT)

[DE-CLOAK, SHIELDS UP!, SEND SUB-SPACE SIGNAL] "Paul Stolar" says on 10 Aug 1998:

>As I delurk, it makes mythical sense that those people, UZ or hooman,
or
>other, lo[o]se their procreative abilities when they become a rune
>lord/priest
>of any religion with the death rune

I feel that the difference here between Humakt and say Zorak Zoran is being ignored. Humakt isn't the prevention of life, simply the end of it. If he was in any way opposed to procreation Humakt certainly wouldn't be sat at the same table as Ernalda and Orlanth.

What is often disregarded with Humakti is their Truth rune. A Humakti's worth is just as defined by his oath and truth spells than his 'deathliness' . His word is inviolable and contracts that are brokered by him can be relied on to stick.. Believe me, there are others in my clan that are just as terrifying in a fight but they can be trusted to obey orders!. Imagine the scene - the raid is successful, we've rescued the hostages -time to flee, but no-- Dick Van Duck the Sword Drake sees a fair fight in a good cause and off he goes.

Speaking of procreation Pam Carlson on 6 Aug 1998 says:

>In short, I recall that the women and girls go off to the women's
sacredplace.
>Much of the deeply magical stuff happens in a cave (symbolizing the
underworld, of course)

The interesting thing here is that it is suggested this is symbolic of the underworld, whereas a cave where 'the deeply magical stuff happens' wouldn't be suggestive of something different?. Which brings me on to this point. We know gloranthans see any magical and mysterious event in a mytho-symbolic way (which of course is very deep) but is mythology ever seen in a deeper way, such that mythology becomes an illustration of common-or-garden psychology (ie, it offers solutions to common life-sapping problems, etc). Are there any Lhankor Mhy or illuminates sniggering into their beards?. Are there any neurosis?.

If this subject has been done to death at an earlier date then I apologise. Just something I thought. Would it be vulgar to imagine a fertility rite with an orlanthi sword-bearer penetrating his wife's cave ("no, don't take the bastard sword".)?.

BTW thanks Nick Brooke for your help in getting me up and running. I'm only thick-as-shit for not spotting the reply to address.

The Pearl is in the Cave!
Regards,
Tom

==
'Gor Blimey, Mallard Poppins, they're pay-pists. Strike-a-light!'- Dick Van Duck, Sword Drake of the 'Voodoo Canardi'.

DO YOU YAHOO!?