Re: Death of Glorantha

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 13:38:47 EDT

In a message dated 8/11/98 8:16:58AM, you write:

<< in the early 80's there were several factors that drew people over from D&D:

  1. Realistic combat system instead of abstract hit points/armor class
  2. Everybody gets magic/skills
  3. Small, well-fleshed-out area to play in (Dragon Pass/Prax)
  4. Cults, which were a big step up from picking an alignment and a god/goddess in D&D
  5. Playing Trolls

 Number 5 was the biggest draw (dispute if you must, but it's definitely true for the San Francisco gaming scene in that timeframe)...number 1 and 2 were next. People didn't even find out about 3 & 4 until they got into the game.

     Well, the only one that HW does away with is #1. Even, then there's nothing to stop you using the HW supplements (many of which are system-free) along with whatever game system you happen to prefer. OK, so that's less convenient than having a supplement written specifically for your fave system (RQ in your case) but that just isn't an option. I'd rather have a supplement written for HW than nothing at all.

<< Shannon:> I count three solid fan publications right now: Tales of the Reaching
> Moon, Book of Drastic Resolutions, and Tradetalk.

(I'll add Enclosures since Shannon does in a later post...)

As we now know, the term "solid" is somewhat relative... :/>>

    As I understand it, the folding of Tales was not due to lack of sales. And that *still* leaves you with three solid publications...

 << We spend (or spent, before RL came to dominate our time and $$) a LOT of time on characterization, and I can say that by & large the characters we play are NOT simply 2D combat machines - far from it. But I play to get something out of the game that I CAN'T get in real life. If I want to haggle, hell, I'll short pay a vendor at work and then I'll have MORE than enough opportunity to "role play" the ensuing
 arguments! :)

Sadly though, we're not allowed to play that way anymore. Where have you been? Liking combat is unenlightened...and actually wanting your character to grow and develope and become...*gasp*...more powerful...sacrilege!>>

     I haven't a clue where you get this from. HW will certainly allow you to do all of this...

<< Please just open your package with the pre-gen vegaterian midwife character in it, read it, and start talking in a high voice...>>

    Actually, one of the complaints levelled against HW is that it makes it difficult to play those sorts of characters if you *do* want to. And as for 'pre-gen' what has that to do with HW?

<<I'm sorry, but now you're going to have to join those other crazy old coots over there in the corner...over there, by the sign that says "Gamers who will not accept the joy and harmony of the new way." It's getting crowded over there...hmmm... >>

     Not everyone will like HW, that's pretty clear. But the only alternative for the forseeable future is having nothing printed at all. Even though I have reservations about HW myself, I know which I'd prefer...

Bruce Mason:

<<[RQ3 had] all the charm of a sceptic warthog. >>

     Really? What was the warthog sceptical about? :-)

Forward the glorious Red Army!

    Trotsky