Re: The Glorantha Digest V6 #102

From: Brian Tickler <tickler_at_netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 11:02:58 -0700 (PDT)

> Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 09:37:09 +0100
> From: "Hibbs, Philip" <philip.hibbs_at_tnt.co.uk>
> Subject: RE: The Glorantha Digest V6 #101
>
> >What make you so positive that HW won't just
> >suffer the exact same fate as Runequest Slayers
> >(I won't argue with you on the latter games fate :)...)?
>
> Because RQ:S is obviously such a bunch of arse, and HW isn't?

Ok, I'm convinced :)...

Mike Schwartz, self-appointed digest watchdog:
> ____________________________
> To Messrs. Tickler and Wolfe:
>
> What *you* want is neither interesting or remotely pertinent to
> Glorantha. If, in your minds, the milieu is so totally and inextricably
> bound up in the RuneQuest game mechanics as to be inseparable, you are
> entitled to that opinion. Just don't assume that the majority of this
> list's membership shares or even gives the slightest *damn* about that
> opinion, especially when you choose to couch your commentary in the worst
> kind of futilitarian negativity.

*OFF TOPIC RESPONSE TO OFF TOPIC POST* Hmmm, permit me to paraphase: "Your views do not conform to the majority in this community. Cease and desist." Interesting POV.

Contrary to what you've just said, what we're arguing about is far more pertinent to Glorantha and its future than the usual fare on the digest (although, with your use of "futilitarian", "feckless", "vainglorious", etc. in such a short span of words, I'm not surprised you prefer the usual fare). Here's some more juicy words for you: pedantic. intellectual. twaddle.

You have just claimed that nobody has any interest in this stuff, yet the digests are pouring out at 4-5/day vs. 2-3/week before this whole thread started. I'm not claiming this as good or bad, just pointing out that there is clearly interest in what's being said.

> The part of Glorantha you seem to love best, the RuneQuest rules, are a
> failure by business standards. Anyone who is even remotely up-to-date on
> the state of Glorantha and the hobby in general knows this. Lamenting
> that 'things would have been different if only <insert name of current
> scapegoat> had done <insert uninformed and unrealistic expectation>'
> marks you both as either vainglorious sentimentalists or utter morons.
> Glorantha's future is in growing its marketplace *beyond* the current
> august body of dedicated fans.

Every line in that last paragraph is purely subjective...your opinion differs from mine, however.

> Typically, feckless whining to such an extent as you have done is
> something I think of as a phenomenon restricted to Usenet. Please move it
> there, if you deign to continue; regardless, take it and yourselves
> bloody well off this list... *please*! Feel free to rejoin when you have
> some useful comment on *Glorantha*, rather than harping on how everyone
> has failed to live up to *your* expectations on how RuneQuest should have
> been done.

I don't think I'll be leaving the digest based on your personal say so, but thanks for the feedback anyway...

For anyone else still reading this, let me just say I hope that others do not feel that opposing points of view should not be heard here. What's the point of having the digest if not for people to express their ideas and opinions?