re: Sex & Repr. in G

From: Daniel McCluskey (Volt Computer) <"Daniel>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 13:45:57 -0700

Jamuz:
	MO, if trolls do not actively worship KL,
	they'll devolve into something other than trolls. To be a troll,
there's
	an active process of tracing lineage to KL. Trolls may not think of
it in
	those terms (rather, that it's Bad Mojo to stop), certainly. This
could be
	completely wrong: I sent it in as a question to "Greg Sez" a while
back,
	but alas, no comments...  But I do think there's feedback: I don't
	think it's theology, as much as magical-biologic. All supposition.
Don't
	thrash it too much, please. :(

Far from thrashing, I will agree heartily. In many ways the Uz ARE the body of KL, and losing or deforming that connection has profound spiritual AND physical manifestations... The jungle trolls are a prime example ;-) as would be Sea Trolls and even the Ice-Trolls, not to mention Hoons, frieghts and those sort of things. If you stop worshipping KL, you stop being a troll. The looser your connection to the goddess, the less you look and act like a troll. Each adult Uz is a mini-incarnation of KL. The high holy day ceremony is just a bunch of trolls getting together and bonding into a full incarnation. Ultimately, to trolls, the worship of KL is the worship of Self.

<kinda silly analogy>
Your ancestors are your conduit to the goddess. If you have Powerful ancestors, you get more "bandwidth." Thus, if your mom is a priestess, then you have a T1 connection to KL, and if you try to trace back through your dad, you are sitting behind a sad little 200 baud Divine Modem ;-)

        And do trolls *know* that X months after sex, out pops a kid, the product
of sexual activity?

I say yes. But I am not opposed the them not. I like the addition of Ritual into the equation, and I bet that Trolls would be mighty confused if you tried to tell them that the act of sex was not the "make a baby" runespell. (Renewable for all initiates, of course ;-)

	>. If a troll matriarch had a chance to make some

> of her male sons into daughters, capable of bearing her
grandchildren, I
> think she'd grab it with both hands.
No, the problem shows up when you start turning her grandaughters into (semi-)worthless sons... Or when an ambitious male troll turns himself into a female, thus pissing off the female trolls hiearchy. And the
new
female/new male troll doesn't know the right rituals, etc.,

I think that a magically changed troll would have difficulty getting through the chain of ancestors. If Great great grandma don't approve, you're going to have a much harder time reaching the goddess. Remember that it's not just the LIVING matriarchs that you have to avoid pissing off. A huge part of the power structure is made up of spirits of the dear departed... all the way back to KL herself.

and finally on Uz transgenderism

	It's Confusing, it's Unnatural, and
	IMO trolls wouldn't deal well with it.

	Not necessarily any worse than, say, Dara Happans would, however.

except that the Dara Happans don't actively keep the spirits of their ancestors around to remind them how naughty they are being. Imagine how uptite the DH's would be if great granpaw were still around to gasp in horror at each unclean act! (and you know that granpaw would be looking ;-)

danm