No more bad puns on "Tickler" or "Wolfe", honest.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 22:52:57 +0100 (BST)

R. H. Wolfe has another list, and I'll agree that is _is_ a lot more constructive in tone (and in content, yet):

> Don't alienate the long-time RQ players.

I don't think there's a nefarious plan to, but some of 'em seem to be set on "auto-alienate". (Present company hopefully excluded.)

> a character conversion system

Personally I think this is going to be a minority-interest item (sadly, in many ways), but it's not exactly going to be rocket science. Putting it on the web might be a more cost/benefit efficient way of disseminating this.

> Make the game accessible. [...] When it comes to the munchkins, the
> ironclad consistancy of the monomyth is a good thing.

I think that "accessible" is indeed a watchword of the new game, but that "monomyth" sure ain't. Hopefully the Sartar box (say) will have the ironclad consistency of Orlanthi mythology, which is the way it outta be. (Mind you, there's always the Book of Belintar stuff, which you might say is something of a Kindler, Gentler monomyth...)

> Keep the number of books needed to play as small as possible.

You'll be able to play HW out of _one box_. Though most people will presumably also want the "culture box", assuming there's one planned, for their campaign spot.

> Make sure at least half the material released comes in the form of
> playable scenario packs

> I'd also consider a good campaign supplement with plenty of
> pre-generated adventures essential to starting out.

I'd agree with the second, but not, I don't think, the first. Perhaps overly coloured by my experience with Pendragon (don't even mention GURPS, here!) I'm not sure I want to be gulled into buying 12 different incompatible scenario books, no three of which could even be used in any conceivable single campaign.

Brian Tickler:
> You have just claimed that nobody has any interest in this stuff, yet the
> digests are pouring out at 4-5/day vs. 2-3/week before this whole thread
> started.

Nope. The Digest throughput picked up a little while before Convulsion, and has been blazing away ever since with HW rules discussions, Con reports, and what not. I don't think anti-Chaosium flaming can claim to have raised the quantity of Digest material appreciably (to say nothing about what it's doing for the quality). Unless of course you're being disingeuously broad in your categorisation of "this stuff" as being anything at all to do with upcoming HW product, regardless of what's being said about it.

Slainte,
Alex.

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #105