Stuff.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 23:51:54 +0100 (BST)

David Dunham speaks sagely about "lay membership", or at any rate, merchantilely:

> I think my character Kerenath, who worships Issaries, would be considered
> an initiate of Orlanth. [...] If he shows up at one of Elena's worship
> ceremonies, trying to get political brownie points, he's a lay member of
> Chalana Arroy.

Bit more complicated then that for (terminology warning) Associated Deities. If you an initiate of I. and Big O., and you turn up at a CA temple, then your Effective Initiatory Status (TM) depends on the nature of the rite, and specifically if your god (either of 'em) features significantly in the corresponding myth. If they do, then you participate essentially as an Initiate, playing the role that your god fulfils in the myth. (And lots of brownie points.) If your god(s) don't even get a mention, then you're a lay member, or to use the technical term, "geezer in the crowd". Off the top of my head, I can't think of any myths that I. and CA share apart from the LBQ (or CA and O, come to that), so that may indeed be the usual situation.

Orlanth, Kegsless?

> > It never mentions that he is wearing pants but I am assuming that he does.

> Presumably he's wearing them at the start of the Arming.

One could apply the same logic to his aviator sunglasses. ;-)

Slainte,
Alex.