Esrolian Holy Days

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 21:50:21 +1200 (NZST)

Jane Williams:

Me>> The Esrolian correlation according to the Myth of the Month
>> (Ernalda's Holy Days) is:
>> Sea Season: Voria
>> Fire Season: Mahome
>> Earth Season: Esrola
>> Dark Season: Ty Kora Tek
>> Storm Season: Ernalda
>> Sacred Time: Babeester

>That certainly helps. But Mahone isn't one of the Earth Six: in the normal
>sense, nor is Esrola. And Asrelia and Maran Gor are missing.

The Six is a GL construct. This is the PoV of the average Esrolians. Asrelia has returned to beneath the earth and no normal people worship Maran Gor.

>Sea/spring for Voria: yes, definitely.
>But I would put Ernalda in Earth season (since Esrola isn't one of the
>Six, she's an Aspect of Ernalda). TKT in Dark, yes.

Esrola is the sexual, material aspect of the Earth and is stated in recent myths to be a distinct daughter of Asrelia in her own right.

        'When Asrelia retired, she divided her earthly goods
        among these three.  The Great she gave to Marangor, the
        Most she gave to Esrola and the Least she gave to Ernalda.

        Marangor is therefore the goddess of the earth's greatest
        manifestations which are earthquakes, volcanoes, landslides,
        autumn, diseases and implements designed to bring death.

        Esrola (also called by many other local names) is the goddess
        of the earth's great bounty, manifest as food, children,
        sexual desire, and blood.

        Ernalda is therefore the goddess of the spiritual earth, whose
        power is not found in solid things but in actions, rules,
        ceremonies, music and familial care.'
                                How Orlanth met Ernalda.

>Maybe Maran in Storm? Destruction?

Ernalda is important here for she is the Wife of Orlanth.

>And also the ploughing season: destruction of the earth, harnessed for Life?

>Presumably Babs is in the sacred Time because she didn't appear until the
>Darkness, and her birth is part of the Sacred Time rituals in any case?

She stood over the dead body of Ernalda until the Dawn.