Re: death and fertility

From: Simon Hibbs <simonh_at_msi-uk.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 12:18:26 +0100

David Dunham :

>The PenDragon Pass rules [Enclosure 1] include such a rule --
>actually, a reduced chance on the childbirth table for initiates of
Humakt, >but you could make the penalty stronger for Swords.

>BTW, species continuity is unaffected by anything dealing with rune
>levels, since they represent such a small fraction of the population.

I still don't like it. I know Glorantha doesn't necesserily have evolution per se, but what this means is that successful males will have a lower chance of reproduction than unsuccessful ones. If your religion demands the sacrifice of your fertility, what's wrong with castration?

In france, a euphemism for orgasm is 'the little death'. My personal opinion is that the association of death and infertility is being literalist rather than mythical. I'm open to conversion I suppose, because I can see where you're coming from and I agree some cultures could make such a connection.

Simon Hibbs