Re: EWF and mass combat

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 20:38:25 +0100 (BST)

Colin Phillips:
> A very big thank you for the EWF info. peter's I just about followed but
> Alex's unfortunately could have been written in moonman as its just way
> above my head.

Apologies, Colin, didn't realise you weren't fluent in Moonman. ;-)

Here's an executive summary of what I was trying to say:

	Someone was screwing around with one of the planets (Wagon,
	to the Theyalans) in the 1st and 2nd ages.

	The end of Wagon's movements coincide with the end of the EWF.

	The EWF is effectively "interposed" between Kralorela and
	the GLers.

	Suspicious minds suspect a connection between all of the above.

I'm coming at this from the Celestiological angle, you may have noticed, due to a) personal bias, and b) that's really all I've heard Greg say anything about.

> When I have digested these I may even have questions!

Please do. You might teach us (and Greg) something, yet.

> (Could this be the digest getting back to the usual esoteric stuff)

Exotica and flamage _is_ the usual digest minx, it seems...

> and the guy who had the great idea of breaking out of a lunar fort. How
> can you do this is the HW rules state each additional npc against the
> character adds a cumulative -2 to your die roll. ie 10 people against
> you by the time you are up against No. 10 your at minus 20.

Ah, but it's the first 10 that're the worst. ;-) If you get a bump-up on the opposition (though two would be nice, at these odds), then no matter what the die roll penalty, yeah though it be -100, your failures get bumped back up to successes. Trouble is, you're not going to actually _win_ a lot of contests like that... If you have two bump-ups, then being outnumbered isn't much more than an inconvenience.

> I was too busy making sure the book burning didn't get of control.
> (Don't ve have laws against this now!!!)

There certainly _ought_ to be laws against "product" like DoD and Eldorad, yup.

Slainte,
Alex.