Masters of Sex and Death

From: Kmnellist_at_aol.com
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 17:17:11 EDT

ISimon Hibbs said:

<< My personal
 opinion is that the association of death and infertility is being  literalist rather than mythical. I'm open to conversion I suppose,  because I can see where you're coming from and I agree some cultures  could make such a connection.

 and I agree with him, except I'm less open to conversion. There are plenty of RW examples linking Death with Sex/Reproduction/New Life - think spiders, think "wages of sin" and adultery, think sacrificial kings, think Certificate 18 at the cinema.
 Pregnancy itself is a relatively dangerous endeavour, perhaps even with Helpful Magic. Someone (Chris Gidlow) asked about populations/death rates at convulsion and Greg said that he disagreed with the Bill Dunn editorial in the Genertela Book on this subject so the exact amount of infant and mother mortality compared with RW ancient cultures is not known. I see no reason for death runers to have any negative fertility bonus. Celibacy requirements are another matter.

On the subject of sex - sex with trolls: from the Book of Uz -

         "...trolls have group ceremonies in which all members prove their marriage to the great goddess, Kyger Litor, by participating in a group orgy. This is among the most favourite of drummings and dancings for all trolls, and are neither difficult nor complex, yet members often practice this one in particular so they will not do it wrong during the holy days, when all rites must go right. "

So sounds like a good night out. It does indicate that sex is part of troll religion and should not, therefore, be tampered with or "done wrong". On the other hand "orgy" does indicate some sort of group sex scene. My Mostali mind boggles.

Keith