re: converting systems; fertility

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 17:38:24 -0800

Ashley Munday replies to me

> > Heck, switching from RQ2 to RQ3 was a disappointment -- your
> > characters didn't really have the same abilities once the rules changed.

> Seeing as nothing really changed between RQ II and III this strikes me
> as being a pretty strange statement. The only bugger was copying out the
> character sheet!

Then you never converted an Issaries Rune Lady with a high Defense, and with a high enough DEX to attack in SR 0. I forget some of the other specifics of the conversion, but she was not the same character (she was still a DEXtrous Issaries and that's about it from what I mentioned).

> IH Sword Attack becomes something like "Twat Mightily" or "Bashing
> people with big pointy thing";

Each and every weapon attack would become Close Combat in Hero Wars, hardly a fine conversion for Onslaught who's mastered nine weapons (including his famous bite attack).

Simon Hibbs complains

> >The PenDragon Pass rules [Enclosure 1] include such a rule --
> >actually, a reduced chance on the childbirth table for initiates of
>Humakt, but you could
> >make the penalty stronger for Swords.

> I still don't like it. I know Glorantha doesn't necesserily have
> evolution per se, but what this means is that successful males will have
> a lower chance of reproduction than unsuccessful ones. If your religion
> demands the sacrifice of your fertility, what's wrong with castration?

Successful males generally aren't Humakti, they're Orlanthi.

And I don't believe that Humakti lose all fertility -- look at Arkat Humaktsson. But I think this helps explains why Humakti are looked upon a bit askance.