Hsunchen origins

From: Simon Hibbs <simonh_at_msi-uk.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 11:34:00 +0100

Tom Zunder :

> Hsunchen are animals, they have animalistic features, features and
bodies.
> It is their worship of the man rune, and associated gods such as
> Grandfather Mortal that has given them man shapes and changed them.

Alex Ferguson :

>This logic, if you accept it on these terms, would imply the opposite
>conclusion; Hsunchen worship _Beast_ rune cults, not man rune cults
>at all, ergo they are humans, whose bestial features are caused by
their
>worship of (say) Pralor.

I prefer to believe that just as other humans have different origins, so do the Hsunchen. Some Hsunchen descend from inteligent animals that learned the secrets of being human. Others descend from humans that learned the secrets of the animals.

I believe it is possible to heroquest to become recognised as the son of a god, and perhaps this is what is meant when Arkat is called the Son of Humakt. The Hsunchen ancestors may well have heroquested to become the Sons of animal gods, or the Sons of Man. (Apoligies for the masculine terminology)

During the great darkness many new ways to live were found. The Theyalans swore fealty to Orlanth and allied with his bloodline. The Praxians and their herd beasts made the survival pact. Offhand, does anyone know when the Hsunchen first appeared in myth?

Simon Hibbs