RQ II / RQ III Character Conversion

From: Ashley Munday <Ashley.Munday_at_liffe.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 12:33:22 +0100

Alex expressed some doubt on my views that things didn't change one bit between RQ II and RQ III:

You're kidding, right? "Rune Lords? You people are all hereby abolished." (Until GoG put them back in, for "important" cults.) "Don't qualify for being a priest under the new rules? You're an initiate, then."
(Etc, etc.)

Rune Lords weren't abolished. Admittedly they were only mentioned in the Glorantha book, but hey, they are a Gloranthan construct. RQ III effectively meant that the only thing most Rune Lords could do that normal people couldn't was the El Cheapo Knock Down Accept No Substitutes Divine Intervention.

If you had a priest without 10 points of Divine Magic and couldn't carry on being a Priest:

(a) You were such a weedy priest, your God changed his mind. OR
(b) Your GM was so much of a rules lawyer you weren't allowed to
make up the difference by immediately sacrificing for how ever many points you needed.

Likewise in concept with the skill requirements.

We converted 6 characters in an hour: Yelmalio Rune Lord, Aldrya Priest and 4 assorted rabble with ne'er a real problem. I didn't even need to convert much in the campaign they were playing in either.

Anyway, why am I talking about this? I'll get flamed for talking about the rules of an old/redundant/unloved/unwashed/scurvry/scabby/lice ridden/Satanic/horrible/nasty system that no one bought and even less people played. (Delete where applicable).

Aesc