Can Glorantha be saved?

From: Jarec <jarec_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 05:22:54 +0100

Whilst I find it very enlightening to read the varied and voluminous posts concerning HW, RQ and Glorantha I am starting to detect a somewhat worrying undertone developing. Whilst I consider it valid to discuss the relevant merits of the systems it must be remembered that at the end of the day whatever you play it is a personal choice and is ultimately a unique reflection of your experiences and expectations.

However, recently one or two posts have started to focus on the direction Greg has chosen to take with the new Gloranthan system. Whilst it is again an open topic I would hasten to add that with a very few exceptions none of us have much, if any first hand experience of the games industry, GREG DOES. I for one have little idea as to how much money or effort is required to bring a product to market and little concept of the other issues involved. Under the circumstances I think that Greg and everyone at Chaosium should be applauded for having the dedication and guts to try to revive Glorantha in any form. If Greg has chosen to use HW as this vehicle I am personally reassured that it was a decision taken very carefully and for the best reasons. The fact that Issaries Inc. is being used as the method of funding the project is an innovative idea as it gives us a chance to have a say in the future of the game. Chaosium is one of the longest and most respected games companies in the industry, we should remember this more often.

I for one applaud Greg's vision and faith, and will continue to support Gloranthan gaming in whatever way I can in whatever form it takes. Greg has a dream and it's my dream too.

Jarec

                        Jarec Basham
                  TARRAN Developments Ltd
               * Internet * Intranet * Java *
                      www.tarran.co.uk

The heights by great men reached and kept Were not attained by sudden flight, But they, while their companions slept, Were toiling upward in the night. (Longfellow) \----------------------------------------------------------/ ------------------------------