Hero Wars

From: DUNCAN ROWLANDS <DUNCANROWLANDS_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 13:25:53 -0400

Just thought I'd add my view on a few things Hero Wars

None of us know what the final version will be like, some may have a bett= er
idea than others but to most intents and purposes we are all just pissing=

in the dark.

Give the game a chance, if its crap when in hits the street then most of = us
(me included) will have wasted 20 quid or so finding out but it won't kil= l
us. If (as I hope) HW is good then it may just sell enough to be profitable, so much the better.

I play in Glorantha because I like Glorantha, not whatever system is bein= g
used. I loved RQ2 when I got it in 1979 because even at thirteen I was getting pissed off with AD&D. RQ3 had a few good bits but I was generall= y
unimpressed and since then I haven't really given a shit about a system.

Anyone who wants complete combat realisim will be disappointed by any system as it is impossible to do a good job simulating a fight in a game = as
there is just too much detail in a fight, the best you can hope for is adequate. Random hit locations in melee are a joke, I have yet to see a good portrayal of the lack of visibility in a helm and surviving a most combat is a lottery. Fictional heros may survive against the unwashed hordes, real people just die or get lucky. As Jane pointed out intimidation helps in a one on one fight and the various discussions on taking things steady against similarly skilled people and charging in on your betters are correct. Having fought Olympi= c
fencers on several occassions I know which tactic gives me a slight chanc= e
in a fight to five hits (and it ain't sitting back to parry reposte!). I= n
a longer fight the lesser skilled are dead meat unless the other guy gets=

knackered (not uncommon).

Converting characters is easy, bugger the rules and make it up. As long = as
the 'feel' of the character is the same before and after the change then fine, if not then alter it.

To summerise, play for the love of Glorantha, not the rules, give HW a fa= ir
hearing, but above all

PLAY FOR ENJOYMENT!!!! sorry to witter on for so long

Duncan

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #115