Re: Hsunchen origins

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 21:32:02 +0100 (BST)

Simon Hibbs replies to me, replying to Tom Zunder:
> I prefer to believe that just as other humans have different origins, so
> do the Hsunchen. Some Hsunchen descend from inteligent animals that
> learned the secrets of being human. Others descend from humans that
> learned the secrets of the animals.

I have no objection to this notion, and as I already said, it's certainly what the Hsunchen believe, pretty much. Rather, I was simply quibbling with Tom's rationale, which for me fits in the uncomfortable region betwixt three stools: it's not what the God Leaners would say, it's not what Hsunchen would say, and it's not "objectively true" (or at the very least, not unprovable).

Tom again:
> A Pralori was a deer. For various reasons some deer adopted man
> like characteristics and have progressively moved towards the Man Rune.

Right. Much better to couch the "various reasons" as Hsunchen mythology, on a per-cult basis. (Cutter's Story is a good example, though of course for a non-Hsunchen people.) I'm not sure all cases (the Pralori might be a case in point) believe this in quite the way the Telmori do, though. (I'm presuming they don't live as intimately together, for example.)

Slainte,
Alex.