People and the Bat

From: Kmnellist_at_aol.com
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 17:39:26 EDT

This is a question about the Bat:
<< Re: Sartarite population density >>

I always thought that the amount of stuff and souls that the Crimson Bat had to consume and utterly destroy every week was appallingly high. I wouldn't care so much if they came back as something but it seems like an unsustainably large figure. Let's feed it cattle for a year - 1000 per week - 42,000 per year! These cattle are removed from the cycle of birth and death. I don't know much about cow demographics (is that cow-a -graphics?) but this is a lot.

How about 440 humans per week. - that's 18,500 per year, which is one thousanth of the popn. of the current Lunar Empire. Each wane this is 1,000,000 people! So in a Lunar Empire without war 1 in 10 of the population are eaten by the bat?? Sorry, not just eaten, ANNIHILATED.

All this leads me to the conclusion that the Bat must be away for extended periods after it is occasionally killed, and is only summoned back in dire emergencies. Nobody wants it back, everybody hates it. Can the Red Emporer deliberately send it back to the Godplane?

Perhaps no one else agrees with me that the amounts are unsustainable but I'd appreciate any feedback. If Hero Wars makes the Bat easier to kill then I like it! I did run a scenario where players were local overlords (in Carmania, 1260) and had to hide, help feed, run away, protect/betray their serfs, or be destroyed fighting the Bat. My players, being rich, treacherous bastards did a deal with the Moon Ambassador and organised a few hundred rebellious friends of Darbeest as a starter, all the House cattle as a main course and anything else they could get to , fingers crossed, finish it off.

Keith 'scared of the Crimson Bat' Nellist