Comments on Game Design Philosophy and Power Gamers

From: George W. Harris <gharris_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 16:49:40 -0400 (EDT)

>Well in the HW play test game I was in one character picked up four
>plot points in less than 3 hours, mine got none. The minimax
>approach seemed to be to pick on someone weaker than you and drag out
>the contest to make as many rolls as possible. We didn't do that,
>naturally. Question is, if someone is prepared to do this does this
>say "dodgy system" or "dodgy roleplayer"?

        If a system mechanically rewards dodgy roleplaying, then those aspects of the system are dodgy.

>On the other hand I have run several non-Gloranthan campaigns using
>RQ in which I used hero points and they were essential in keeping PCs
>alive. To be honest I would prefer to see plot/hero points whatever
>given out at the end of session based on a merit system rather than
>who made the most lucky die rolls.

        The necessity of Hero Points for the survival of characters seems to me to point to the GM overestimating the characters' abilities rather than the doubleplusgoodness of Hero Points. Rather than tack hero points onto a system just find a non-bogus-killer-deathtrap GM.

>>From what I've seen HW needs plot points, sure they can be minimaxed
>but the answer to that would seem to be not to play with obsessive
>minimaxers. I would rather see HW designed to be compatible with
>good roleplaying rather than defensively designed against munchkins
>and rules lawyers.

        If HW needs Plot Points then HW needs fixing so it doesn't need Plot Points. I'd rather see HW designed not to encourage bad role-playing rather than limit the pool of potential HW players. "Defensive design against munchkins and rules lawyers" is *good* design, just as in automobiles defensive design against accidents is *good* design.

>- ---Bruce

- --
Doesn't the fact that there are *exactly* 50 states seem a little suspicious?

George W. Harris                        gharris_at_mindspring.com