Re: Malkioni Vows

From: Simon Hibbs <simonh_at_msi-uk.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 12:49:17 +0100

Peter Metcalfe :

>IMO the Malkioni do not adopt the vows to refrain from
>the world as the mystics do, they do it to clear the mind and soul of
>some of the corrupting influences of this gross world of matter.

Er, same thing surely?

>By accessing the Higher levels of existance more readily, their
sorcery
>is correspondingly more potent.

How about this :

The Malkioni believe that their magic works because it's laws are resonant with the underlying Universal Laws, which rule the material world. (Their deffinition of material). It could be claimed that their sorcerous laws _are_ the Universal Laws, and I wouldn't argue.

The Universal Laws are not purely physical in the modern sense. They are also moral in nature. By willingly choosing to live by ever stricter moral religious laws, their authority to invoke the Universal Laws is enhanced. Malkioni Wizards believe that they can invoke effects because their magical practices give them the right to do so. The universe, being subject to Law, naturaly complies with those rights if they are properly excercised.

This is remarkably resonant with much Hermetic and Kabbalistic magical doctrine. For example :

In traditional occultism, Adam is seen as being the Perfect Man embodying each of the elements in harmony. They believed that god had created Adam to rule the elemental worlds, just as the higher Angels ruled the spiritual worlds. By ballancing the elements within themselves, occult magicians believed that they could achieve the same state as Adam and thus assume the same god given authority over the elements for magical purposes. In other words they were hoping to manipulate divine law for magical ends. I think the Malkioni have a similar philosophy.

Kabbalism teaches that creation is a material manifestation of the logical symbolic 'matrix' which are the holy scriptures. They seek to understand and manipulate the world through textual and numerological analysis of Holy Law. They believe that both the matrial world and the scriptures are manifestations of a single act of creation, and so share a common underlying identity in some esoteric sense.

This strikes me as being so similar to Malkioni philosophy that it can't be a coincidence.

Simon Hibbs