Re: Hsunchen origins

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 14:59:52 EDT

Alex:

<< Tom again:
> A Pralori was a deer. For various reasons some deer adopted man
> like characteristics and have progressively moved towards the Man Rune.

 Right. Much better to couch the "various reasons" as Hsunchen mythology, on a per-cult basis.>>

     Agreed. Each Hsunchen cult/culture has a different rationale for what happened and why. The only common theme (and even this may be just an Orlanthi "all") is that at one point animals and humans were indistinguishable and later on they separated. As Alex says, I don't think the Hsunchen would regard themselves as 'moving towards' the Man Rune, which doesn't feature much in Hsunchen religion.

 <<I'm not sure all cases (the Pralori might be a case in point) believe this in quite
 the way the Telmori do, though. (I'm presuming they don't live as intimately together, for example.)>>

     My own, completely unofficial, version of Pralori origin myths can be found at my website. I think the Pralori do live quite intimately with their animals, although there are certainly a number of Hsunchen peoples who don't. If you mean among themselves, then Pralori live in bigger groups than Telmori IMO, because they are herd 'animals', rather than 'pack' animals and find it easier to cooperate in large numbers (although one would expect the Telmori to be more social than, say, the Tigersons).

Forward the glorious Red Army!

     Trotsky

http://members.aol.com/ttrotsky/hsunchen/