Sartarite population density, et al.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 23:15:13 +0100 (BST)

Roger McCarthy:
> (for some
> reason I seem to recall reading somewhere that the scale on the DP and
> Balazar maps was only 8 km or 5 mile per hex - is this correct ?).

Good question. Comparing it with some other maps readily to hand, I get the following scales:

G:G, large map: 10.6km per hex.

G:G, book 2, "detail map": 10.4km.

G:G, book 2, DP map: 10.3km.

Apple Lane: 8.5km.

Take your pick...

> What really interests me are the social dynamics behind these figures -
> while we're told that land is owned collectively by the clan and
> (presumably) re-distributed regularly between bloodlines and households
> who makes the decisions ? and what is the basis for giving some clan
> members (the carls) parcels of land up to (maybe) 9 times the size of
> others (ownership of a full ox-team and plough for a carl or half a team
> for the half-carl ?) and I hope that the HW clan generation system takes
> this into account.

Notionally, the re-distribution is at the whim of the chief, as advised by the clan ring, but of course it isn't going to work _quite_ like that... In particular, what is of course going to happen is that various subclans, bloodlines, steads and individuals will have "traditional", "by custom", or "by use" allocations of land, livestock, and what-not. The chief will not go around changing these very often, lest he piss off too many people and weaken his own position thereby. For the most part, people will hold what they have, unless there's an express collective will to re-do things (or the chief is a stroppy bugger). I'll wager that in Orlanthi hostory, clans have broken up over less -- in fact, this may be bordering on the "normal" method of creation of new clans.

> I'd also like to know what the average size is of an Orlanthi stead as
> this determines how far from each other settlements are - frex if there
> are 50 people to a stead then they'll be on average well over a km apart
> while if it's only 5-10 people per stead they'll only be a couple of
> hundred metres apart.

I suspect that this varies by both clan, and by stead -- obviously the more important the head of the settlement, the bigger the household. (Or vice versa, really.)

But I'm _guessing_ an average might be around 20. Whachallthink?

Slainte,
Alex.