Re: Buserium and Dayzatar

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 00:08:25 +0100 (BST)

Peter decides to believe me, at last:
> Since Simon Hibbs confirms your story on particulars, I'll allow
> it. But this isn't evidence of a overtly materialistic inclination
> as such [...]

That's good of you. But if you accept Greg's perogative to decide what the beliefs of the "Dayzatar" cult are, does it seem entirely infeasible to lend him some credence when he says, in the very same utterence "They're mystic materialists"?

Your "overt" qualifier makes sense, though. They'd have been lynched for expressing such views in the Good Old Days of the DHE, so I'm happy to call them "covert materialists".

> [...] for it is possible for a cult of any viewpoint to have cult
> secrets that go 'well now that you have passed your hazing rituals,
> the cult secret is that what you thought you knew is wrong!'.

I think the _nature_ of such secrets is not irrelevant, however.

Thanks for the cult(s) history, that was Illuminating.

> I think most people who join the modern cult of Dayzatar join
> it without bothering to go through the hoops of starwatching.

Probably so. OTOH, most members will the "retirees" from _some_ other cult, so a "career arc" of Buserian -> Dayzatar is certainly not unlikely as such. Perhaps giveaway signs of the transition is when one doesn't cease one's celestiological observations when Yelm comes up -- or come to that, for the next several weeks/years, either.

> Afterall Dayzatar is beyond the Sky so what good is watching
> the Heavens?

Cos it's a recognised mystic technique. And "effective", by paltry Dayzatari standards...

Slainte,
Alex.