Re: Kralori and EWF

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 00:11:47 +0100 (BST)

Peter Metcalfe, replying au moi:
> > o Both Lokarnos events are attributed to the Kralorelans.

> Was this something that Greg said at the Convulsion?

Not directly, but I believe he's implied this -- or implied that the Kralori imply this, or some such. In fact, at Convulsion played the sly ruse of having _me_ do some of the dirty work of explaining what I "knew" about this (the stellar stuff, basically),

> I'm not sure that the 'Exarchs moved a star to make a particular
> alignment necessary for the Evocation of Dragons' can be taken as
> referring to the planet Lokarnos.

No, I wasn't taking it to mean that either. Though now that you mention it, I wonder if there _is_ a connection (if only in Greg's fevered mind...)

> In particular the said event occurs after the Dragon's Awakening
> Shudder of 1051

It does? Only mention I have of this is G:G;2, which doesn't date it at all.

> I strongly doubt that the Kralori even have a backward planning
> department.

If not, why not!? That's one of the coolest ideas I've heard disclaimed for some time...

> > The end of Wagon's movements coincide with the end of the EWF.

> When one considers that the Blue Moon Cult was influential in the
> offing of the EWF, one is reminded of the Pelandan belief that
> has the Blue Moon and Lokarnos/Wagon as the offspring of Black
> Dendara.

One is now -- thanks for the "reminder", Peter. ;-)

> But the ending is not perfect. Lokarnos is still
> travelling at the superannuated speed.

Indeed. Presumably either "they" loused it up, or simply that what they did was sufficient for their present purposes.

> > The EWF is effectively "interposed" between Kralorela and
> > the GLers.

> Like the Maginot Line was interposed between France and Germany IMO.

You're assuming that when Greg said "God Learners", he meant the NDR. I took him to mean the MSE...

> Given that Kralori efforts against
> Sheng Seleris and Vormain have been marked by such abysmal failures

Please "remind" me once more -- I thought that the tradition was for Vorumain to fail abysmally to invade Kralorela, rather than vice versa?

Keith Nellist:
> Do dragons have some odd view of time compared to normal races? Or am I out of
> date (or before my time, if you think with you're Left side) on this point.?
> If so then the inconvenient fact that Godlearners hadn't been invented by the
> time of the start of EWF is a mere human chronologists headache.

Good point. ;-)

Jamie MacLaren:
> I seem remember Greg saying the idea that the EWF was a Kraleorian plot
> to destroy the god learners was a roumour abound in Kraleoria itself.
> IMO this roumour is not only untrue but is an attempt at rewriting
> history by the Kraleorians to explain by association the phenomanon
> of the EWF.

That's a valid view, I'm certain. My personal preference is to say something meaningless like it is "partially true" -- the degree of partiality being anything from 0.0001% to 99.9999%, as takes ones fancy. Not that I object as such to efforts to "refine" this interval, of course.

Slainte,
Alex.