Extraordinary Eric.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 00:24:55 +0100 (BST)

Eric Rowe wins the "Rule #1 Flouting Award" for the year, and takes rampant use of the word "paradigm" to new heights (depths?):

[no ordinary characters, just ordinary conflicts]

> No Richard, that is exactly the new paradigm and in the rules. The
> difficulty is communicating it in this lousy (electronic)
> medium. Fortunately, a rulebook is a good medium for explaining rules.

A remarkable assertion to make about two text-based media. Perhaps the crucial difference is the choice of what the text actually _is_?

If the suggested interpretation is correct, then I assume we can look forward to a HW rulebook in which the phrase "Ordinary character" doesn't appear -- as distinct from the demo game, where IIRC, it does.

Perhaps a more useful way of thinking of the bump-up in such situations would be not so much "free level of Mastery", as "free Plot Point"?

(As in, "this is being designated a "build-up" scene, so plot considerations mean that you're almost certainly going to win it quickly, regardless of the notional skill of your opponents".)

That's probably a more logical and reasonable way of doing it, but I can sincerely aver that it's not the impression of the rules I got from playing the demo game, or from any prior discussion of it here...

Slainte,
Alex.