Re: Syanor and Loskalm

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 08:05:07 +0100

Mike Cule asks:

> 1) I note that all of civilised Fronela except Loskalm speaks a
> collection of Theyalyan derived dialects. What effect does this
> have on relationships between the Loskalmi and their neighbours?
> Does it reinforce the perception of the Loskalmi as 'foreign invaders'?

Yes, certainly. Well spotted!

> 2) 'Western' languages all use the same written language. Presumably
> this means that it uses an ideographic script (if that's the right word?
> Like Chinese, anyway).

Although this theory has its supporters, I've always preferred to see the language of Sorcery as "Brithini Latin", still used by academics and clerics in the "mediaeval" West, although the language of everyday speech is a distantly derived tongue.

> 3) Are all the Malkioni 'Holy Texts' in Western? Or are there some in
> later languages?

I would guess that all the orthodox holy texts are in Western (i.e. those commonly accepted by modern mainstream sects (and edited by God Learners for consistency with their Invisible God cult)), while various heterodox books are in other, later (or unrelated) languages.

> Is there a 'protestant' movement to bring the Truth to the peoples in
> languages they understand?

Whyever not?

> 4) Where did all these ruddy Orlanthi come from anyway? Ygg's Isles? How
> did the Orlanthi get *there*?

They've always been there. In Godtime, the Orlanthi spread along the western Rockwood Mountains (the "Barbarian Belt") from a touchdown point in Dragon Pass. Those at Ygg's Isles are merely the farthest-flung members of this diaspora. (As far as we know).

> 5) Presumably all the Malkioni lands outside Loskalm represent the high
> water mark of Loskalmi Imperialism in the Second Age?

The one landmark we have for this is that Eastpoint was the furthest east the God Learners extended the Kingdom of Loskalm. But I agree completely with the sentiment. (Although a heroic missionary or two would add nicely to the "imperialist" mix).

Nick
:::: web: <http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Nick_Brooke>