Ninja Killer S**t

From: Mark Haggett <mark.haggett_at_virgin.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 23:29:35 +0100

"Haji, Ash" wrote

>While trying to resolve when a Humakti character in my campaign gets her
Sense Assassin triggered, I'm >worried by the grey area between assassination and ambush and strategic concealment before attacking >etc.

You may be interested to know that to get their 5th Dan, practitioners of Ninjutsu must take what is know as the Saki (sp?) test (what drinking lots of rice wine?;-). This involves the student ninja kneeling and closing their eyes. The Grandmaster then stands behind the student with a shinai (a bamboo sword) and closes his eyes too. At some point the Master strikes down at the head of the student, at the same time 'projecting' his Saki, or intent-to-kill ( this is done without a sound - shouting 'I'm going to f**king kick your head in' kinda gives it away!).

The result of the test is quite simple, either the student senses the attack and moves out of the way (passing the test), or doesn't, and ends up in intensive care (Guess what? Yep, not passing the test).

This is how I see the Humakti skill. They don't sense the ambush, they sense the intent of the assassin.

Hope this helps.

Mark