[none]

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 12:42:49 +1200 (NZST)

Michael Cule:

>>The Civilized People of the Janube Valley speak Janubian, 'a tongue
>>not closely related to any other' (Genertela Book p12).

>That's as may be. But Junora is not on the river and on p 13 it says
>that in the Kingdom of the Jonatings they use three languages 'Junoran,
>Syanoran and Oranoran, three related Theyalan tongues'. If Junoran isn't
>what they speak in Junora then I'm a Dutchman.

And I do believe that I said two or three sentences later on, that the Junorans speak a dialectical variation of Loskalm as opposed to Janubian.

>>This has been dealt with before and the concensus is that [Western
>>is in] an alphabetic script but people only use it for writing down

>Why? It makka no sense! For a script to be used to communicate by
>groups using differing spoken languages seems to require an ideographic
>script.

No, it doesn't. Arabic and Latin in medieval times were for communication by people who used differing spoken languages. And written Cantonese is only partially comprehensible by readers of Northern Mandarin.

>If it is alphabetic the language will mutate as the written
>language mutates and will soon be mutually incomprehensible.

Latin, Classical Arabic, Sanskirt and Attic Greek are still readable even after the loss of native speakers and the emergence of 'incomprehensible' vulgate dialects over a thousand years (and in some cases two!). And the Seshnegi and Loskalmi languages are 'incomprehensible' languages that are related to Brithini. So what is the objection to an alphabetic script?

>The analogy with Latin as a common sacred tongue fails because Latin has
>a spoken and written form of its own.

And what's to say that the Westerners do not use 'High Malkioni' in their services and lectures and their vulgate tongues in ordinary life? Moreover the example of Catherine of Aragorn demonstrates that there was no commonly understood pronunciation of Latin and thus it was almost incomprehensible when spoken between foreigners in late medieval times.

>>You raise an interesting point and one that I'm not completely certain
>>about the answer to. The Yggi are not Orlanthi and have their own
>>traditions.

>p 34 of Player's Book Genertela says they are *so* Orlanthi. Unless this
>has been officially Gregged?

I am giving my own opinion. Their isolation and the lack of nearby Orlanthi makes me suspicious that they ever emigrated from Heortland. I view any similarites between the Yggites and the Heortlanders to coincidental and caused by their storm worship (insofar as Dara Happa and Kralorela have similarities - emperors, bureacracy, organized social hierarchy etc).