re: stead populations

From: Pete Newallis <reaper_at_sound.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 23:25:08 -0500

Steve:

>>started, my character has a house hold of 112. Of these, 54 are children, =
>>12 are elders, 20 are thralls, 6 widows, 10 other women, and _10_ are =
>>working age males. Nope, I am not looking forward to winter.

   Anybody got some good stuff worked out on this for steads, bloodlines in a clan?
I've seen some stuff on the list before but not with the level of detail I'd like to see.

> I'm assuming the benefits of magic and
>the horrifically more dangerous world basically even out.):

  Hard call. You can really vary the magic use level. Also I'm not convinced Glorantha is any more dangerous than earth. Sure there are nasties out there but
they are rare and balanced by magic-augmented intelligent beings.

>1) half the children <4 will die over the winter.
>2) 50% of the elders will die over the winter
>3) the 10 other women and most of the female thralls and widows are
>pregnant, say a total of 18 bearing women, of which roughly 1/4 will have a
>live baby at the end of winter.

  Are you sure about those numbers? I think if you run that rate over a 10-20 year period, your clan dies out, certainly not grow which is what seems to happen in average times. I seem to recall something about a tribal growth rate in the 1 to 6%
range a long time ago. This is not Glorantha info and I really can't recall if it
was game-based or historical data.

>In this vein I'd be interested in seeing people's comments on population
>age distribution in Glorantha - my feeling is that one would see a
>difference between the youth-heavy primitive cultures you see in RL, and
>Glorantha.

   It's a GM call, I could see it run and justified however a GM wanted. There are all sorts of variables. How much magic is used on a regular basis for wound healing, health maintenance in the general population. You also forget Glorantha has a a vital herbalism culture and it could depend on what is known about first aid and primitive medicine at the village level. Lots of other stuff can factor in.

  A Macro concern, we know there are disease spirits and magic causes for some things, so does Glorantha enjoy the same level of natural disease vectors Earth
does? It doesn't take a lot to change mortality rates, maybe Glorantha enjoys healthier/safer childhoods and more elder survival.

>I think the tough environment would be disproportionately hard on the young
>- - they'd be the ones wandering about getting into trouble, and at a
>slightly older age, expected to fight all the horrible things that come at
>night.

  Hard to say, if the kids stay in the stead proper till they are "old enough"
to take care of themselves, how much threat is there besides the illness ones.

    Pete