Little nits...

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 22:28:43 +1200 (NZST)

Joerg Baumgartner:

>IMO there would be a very concise grammar in the undiluted Western
>language, giving way to all kinds of breaches of rules in spoken rural
>Western.

I doubt the Brithini Grammar is very concise or even special in any way. But there are undoubtedly Malkioni Wizards who harken back to the Logical Tongue and so seek to perfect their speech by adopting all sorts of silly rules such as 'never end a sentence a sentence with a preposition' and 'never split an infinitive'.

>While I applaud the use of Slavic parallels for some Orlanthi cultures,
>I am fairly unhappy with the strong "modern" Russian parallels the
>authors of HtWW1 used for the Jonatings. The terms "Boyar" (and also
>"Cossack" for the Char-un) describe Reformation-age developments in
>Russia, a consequence of Rus and Mongol rule.

And Sheng Seleris and the Carmanians do not filful the parallels of Rus and Mongols? FWIW the influence of the Mongols on the social structure of Muscovy was slight as they were only interested in taxes.

>I note that the founders of Slontos were "primitive Entruli", i.e. close
>relatives of the Aramites and Harandings in Kerofinela/Kethaela,
>"civilized" early in the 2nd century by King Lalmor and the Vathmai
>accompanying the Theyalan missionaries.

The Entruli weren't 'civilized' nor were they 'primitive' to begin with, they were freed from Pralori oppression by the actions of Lalmor and whatever allies he had. Any secrets would been learnt of earlier IMO.