Batfood

From: Kmnellist_at_aol.com
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 15:04:23 EDT

Peter Metcalfe:
<< Assuming a 5% replacement rate (ie 5% of the population die and are  replaced by newborns) and that any growth in population is eaten by  the bat, that means that over 54 years the Bat feeds from an effective  population that is 2.7 times larger than the number of people living at  any one time. Which reduces the proportion of people eaten to only 3.7%  which is well beneath the proportion of lowlifes in Lunar Society. >>

OK, I still think that 3.7% is very high, even if no one else does. I disagree with Joerg's figure of 40 per week. That would be too easy. What Peter is saying is that every singe lowlife in Lunar Society is caught and fed to the Bat. Social Status - Lowlife, likely cause of death - 100% Bat Food. I'm not saying that it's impossible it is just very very difficult. Relating this to Orlanthi Steads- the bat eats 4 of these per week. Every single inhabitant!

On the recyclng of souls. I agree it isn't stated anywhere that souls are not created. But it dos not explain all the Hunter/Eirtitha Peaceful cut business. Also, say there were 2 million cow souls in Eiritha's womb (or whereever) for every currently living cow this gives plenty of room for pop. growth without needed to created new ones. The Bats destruction of them ( or any other chaotic destructuion) would be destroying them forever, eventually returning the world to nothing, no cow souls, no living cows.

I still think that the Bat is often away. I would include periods when Sheng Seleris rampaged across Peloria. I agree that the Bat is the price of rebellion against the Empire but maintain that the Emporer would only resummonthe Bat in times of war, which admittedly, would be rather often.

Keith "I'd like to join the cult of the Bat and therby be last on the menu" Nellist