Cult Initiation. Babeestor Gor.

From: Jamie <orlanth.umathi_at_virgin.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 21:15:41 +0100

Alex:

>The only thing that bothered me at all about what Robin said was
>that he said separate "initiation" into a structurally separate cult,
>such as the Boldhome Lhankor Mhy temple in the example Jamie
>is citing, was "just a social thing".

My view on this offers a compromise. When Horace goes home for sacred time he is pushed into a more Lhankor Mhy style than he appreciates, he also finds that his calls for knowledge magic are more successful and storm/movement magic less so.

He has already been initiated into the Orlanth/Ernalda cult and as such needs no further initiation as such to act like Lhankor Mhy in said rituals.

However, the Boldhome temple want him as an initiate, he will be under pressure to undergo some form of initiation ceremony if he continues to use the temple frequently. He probably wont be able to access the most interesting parts of the library without doing so anyway.

To recap Lhankor Mhy has called and he will follow, but even if he continues to resist, his actions, skills, magic abilities, mannerisms etc. will
become changed anyway.

Babeestor Gor:

The Gor cults in general appear to be based on a rejection of sexuality and fertility. In fact I feel that it is an exaggeration that Babs worshippers
hate men, they just reject all notion of male sexuality as well, and as such
view everyone as gender neutral.

The Gor cults remind me of Lady MacBeth: "unsex me here...".

I'm sure there are homosexual women in Babs, but as an expression of sexuality it would be heretical and so hidden.