Population

From: Jamie <orlanth.umathi_at_virgin.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 22:37:58 +0100

Population:

We should be wary of going down the "Glorantha is different because..." route.

For one thing placebo equates to magical healing, and research into the placebo effect consistently comes up with a thirty percent success rate.

Add this to the widespread and very elaborate use of effective healing plants (often refined enough to be medicine) in aboriginal societies and

the placebo effect of the surrounding rituals, and the success rate is probably similar to Glorantha.

Old age has many mythological connections, so healing magic probably becomes less effective in Glorantha unless the recipient has an

exceptional will to live.

Also, and in my mind more importantly, we have only our own world on which to base our assumptions. If we fall into the trap of making major distinctions we make world creation harder than it needs to be. Yes, I know half of the fun is in the "what if", but there is a point when
it becomes a burden.

In summary lets use as much RW data as we can and rationalize away the differences as we see fit.