The BatDebate

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 13:21:12 +1200 (NZST)

Keith Nellist:

me>> Assuming a 5% replacement rate (ie 5% of the population die and are
>> replaced by newborns) and that any growth in population is eaten by
>> the bat, that means that over 54 years the Bat feeds from an effective
>> population that is 2.7 times larger than the number of people living at
>> any one time. Which reduces the proportion of people eaten to only 3.7%
>> which is well beneath the proportion of lowlifes in Lunar Society.

>OK, I still think that 3.7% is very high, even if no one else does. I
>disagree with Joerg's figure of 40 per week. That would be too easy.
>What Peter is saying is that every singe lowlife in Lunar Society is
>caught and fed to the Bat.

Wrong. I said before the Bat consumed equally between the Lowlives and the Hostiles across the Border. And lowlifes in the Heartlands are not fed to the Bat because the Bat never visits to the Heartlands.

>On the recyclng of souls. I agree it isn't stated anywhere that souls are not
>created. But it dos not explain all the Hunter/Eirtitha Peaceful cut business.

Treat it like a burial service to ensure that it does not come back as a bad ghost and not a need to keep the supply of souls flowing. Furthermore according to some mythologies, the souls in the land of the dead eventually dissolve.

>Also, say there were 2 million cow souls in Eiritha's womb (or whereever) for
>every currently living cow this gives plenty of room for pop. growth without
>needed to created new ones.

But _why_ assume the need for such a limit at _all_? It does not make sense and is contradicted by the continuing prosperity of Peloria despite your BatHangups.

>The Bats destruction of them ( or any other chaotic destructuion) would be
>destroying them forever, eventually returning the world to nothing, no cow
>souls, no living cows.

And since in the Lunar Empire, this has not happen despite seven wanes of the Bat (which is more than enough to eat your 2 million cow souls), we can safely assume that your proposition is falsified.

>"I'd like to join the cult of the Bat and therby be last on the menu"

Oi! Get in line!!