The Crimson Bat

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_hol.fr>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 20:16:36 +0200

Keith Nellist:

> All this leads me to the conclusion that the Bat must be away for extended
> periods after it is occasionally killed, and is only summoned back in dire
> emergencies. Nobody wants it back, everybody hates it. Can the Red Emporer
> deliberately send it back to the Godplane?

The Bat is a resident of the Moon. (See Tales No 16)

May I suggest that the Crimson Bat hibernates during its periods of absence? The enormous amounts of Flesh and Souls consumed as Bat-Food mentioned are likely used (among other purposes) to store up nutritional and magical reserves while it sleeps, hanging upside-down, in the BatPen. One of the functions of the Bat-Men might be to guard the Bat during these long periods of inactivity.