Son of Duff and Beth.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 22:13:58 +0100 (BST)

The subject is "err?", so the poster can only really be --

Andrew Joelson:
> This doesn't track. What did MacBeth do that was wrong? Yes, yes,
> I know he killed the King who was his guest, (and the King's guards, who
> were innocent). But I see this as just another Orlthani power-play.

And a violation of Hospitality, which is utterly Dishonourable? (The HW demo scenario makes good play of Orlanthi Hospitality, which is also a rave fave of us Pendragon types as a RPing tool, and yes I admit it freely, Plot device.

> He did not frame Malcolm or Donalbane, they framed themselves when
> they got scared and fled. Where is the proof that MacBeth _ruled_ badly?

Are we talking about in the play, or in Actual History(TM)? I think anyone who was awake during the play (not hard, in anything but the most West Endified of productions) would be hard-pressed to question this.

In reality, MacBeth was reputedly quite a good king, but the fact that Duncan and Malcolm were ancestors of the play's Patron had a modicum of influence on how it was composed.

> When Malcolm invaded to get his throne back, he had to have help from the
> English (Percy, Duke of Northumberland).

I don't think Northumberland was historically even part of "England" at the time, though English Dark Age history is hardly my forte.

ObGlorantha: I don't think MacBeth isn't such a good model for an Orlanthi _tribal_ king at least, good or bad, because he's an out-and-out monarch, whereas the latter seems to a bit like being the referee in a on-going familily quarrel. (Doubly so of being a clan chief, there's a job-and-a-half for you.) As a Sartarite prince, or as King of the likes of Tarsh, a much closer one, I suppose.

Slainte,
Alex.