Maintaining trolls vs. hoomans

From: James Frusetta <gerakkag_at_wam.umd.edu>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 02:14:15 -0400 (EDT)

Keith Nellst wrote:

>I am undecided on humans, but if you want a "difficult to maintain"
>society, try generating a troll clan as per trollpak and see if you can
>last longer than 7 generations. Rules of the game - start with one
>matriarch, assume all females can mate, males are just a waste of time,
>use the trollkin/Korasting purification ritual rule. This clearly
>demonstates how important females are to troll society. (only 1 in four
>births are female trolls).

Good point -- though it's even worse, since enlo births are "double cost" thanks to the ritual. As far as I can figure it (with my limited math skills) in every two birth opportunities, only about two in five will result in a female birth. Versus about two in five for humans -- ouch.

I've found the generation rules, as stated, almost unworkable. There's about an 18% chance that a female troll won't give birth to a daughter out of an average number of births (5). Starting with a single troll mother, way too many clans don't even make it out of the gate! Must have been a hell of a die-off when the curse hit.

This isn't as bad with (in my experience) at least 3 sisters to even this out. Though I now usually generate the clan _backwards_: take the troll PC, roll 2d6-3, and that's their siblings. Mom had 2d6-3 siblings. Etc. And then role the cousin lines down as noted in Trollpak. This means that you have at least one line of trolls that lasted long enough to produce the current troll.

<Sigh> I miss the days when I rolled up my first character troll's clan with the probability chart from the RQ2 Trollpak. Three lovely "01" results in the 86 trolls I rolled up, from the "Determine Race" chart. Inaccurate, but a heck of an ego boost.

James Frusetta