Western Script

From: Michael Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 18:25:59 GMT

Alex Ferguson disagrees to agree to disagree. (Michael, he puzzled by this...)

> This is true, but it implies strongly that the two are closely related
> to the point of being the same:
>
> "Most scholars believe that the standardised written language of
> Western is derived from the Brithini spoken tongue, though the
> Brithini claim the opposite."
>
> (I think we can take it that "opposite means "converse" here, rather
> than "negation"!)

This is actually the strongest argument yet for saying that the script is alphabetic and I'm almost moved to admit that perhaps what was in the Genertela book was poorly thought out (rather than being transcendently wise and supporting my position).

> So really, it's not an argument that can be settled by Logic, much
> as the Malkioni might wish it, but a Deutschmark might settle it
> at the next Con. (Which is a bargain rate, even via Thomas Cook.)

Hmmm, let me see if we can get an earlier answer by visiting the Q&A bit of www.glorantha.com.

Actor And Genius
AKA Theophilus Prince Archbishop Of The Far Isles Medieval Society Arms Purpure An Open Book Proper: On the Dexter Page an Alpha Or On the Sinister an Omega Or. Motto Nulla Spes Sit in Resistendo (Resistance is Useless). Ask me about the Far Isles: Better Living through Pan-Medieval Anachronisms.

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #138