Re: Lowlander Lallans

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 05:28:46 +0100 (BST)

Peter Metcalfe explains his earlier comment:

> >> Hence if Loskalm is English as spoken in London, Junora is North
> >> England and Janube is the Scottish Lowlands.

> I was thinking of the Lowlands Scots speech (or Lallans) in
> pre-17Cth times.

Middle Scots and Middle English were pretty closely related, though. Do I hear Trotsky chime in that they're both just sub-dialects of Northumbrian? ;-)

It does raise the question of how similar different langauges from the same "family" are supposed to be in Glorantha. What degree of relatedness are "1/2 chance", "1/3 chance", "1/5 chance" or "1/10 chance" supposed to equate to in terrestrial terms? Is my 27% English supposed to give me 9% Dutch and Afrikaans, 5% German and 3% in anything even vaguely Indo-European, or what? Since I don't think it'd _quite_ work that way in practice...

Slainte,
Alex.