Languages

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 1998 18:14:51 +1200 (NZST)

Alex Ferguson:

>It does raise the question of how similar different langauges from
>the same "family" are supposed to be in Glorantha. What degree
>of relatedness are "1/2 chance", "1/3 chance", "1/5 chance" or
>"1/10 chance" supposed to equate to in terrestrial terms?

Based on my experiences:

1/2 is a barely comprehensible dialect. A normal everyday conversation

    is possible but one needs a few seconds to figure out what was actually said. Mark McManus in "Taggart" is the best example for most english speakers.

1/3 is an incomprehensible dialect. Most of the time you are going

    "What?!? Can you repeat that please?". Some dialects spoken in the remote parts of Ireland and the Scottish Highlands may fall into this catergory from the PoV of the average english speaker.

Beyond this level, one is reduced to speaking in basic phrases and hope like hell the other person has enough telepathy to actually understand what you are trying to say. There's no way one is going to recite the ten commandments and expect the other person to actually roll his reduced language to get one of them.

1/5 is a language within the same subfamily (English & the Germanic

    languages, or Latin and the Romance languages).

1/10 is a language within the same family (Latin, Greek, Sanskirt)

     where the similarities can only be recognized by a scholar.

>Is my
>27% English supposed to give me 9% Dutch and Afrikaans, 5% German
>and 3% in anything even vaguely Indo-European, or what? Since I
>don't think it'd _quite_ work that way in practice...

Personally I think the idea of adding the communication bonus onto the reduced language skill is a load of crap.