Script doctoring.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 01:23:23 +0100 (BST)

Despite popular demand, I have another Thought to throw into the discussion about the written form of Western. One advantage to an alphabetic script is that it's better at "spelling out" foreign words and names than an ideographic script would be. (Naturally this requires that a "phonetic" reading of such be possible, whether or not the script is normally read strictly phoneticly.) Not very much use to the "unchanging" Brithini of course, but damn handy if you're (say) a God Learner, and you have to write down the name of Thunder Brother #1 in your paper to appear in that upcoming conference in sunny Umathela on Minor Storm Deities.

Of course, this is entirely Post Hoc reasoning, as it was obviously not _designed_ with this use in mind, but a relevant point nonetheless. (At least in my own mind.)

Slainte,
Alex.