Ken St. Andre and Rumours

From: tom.zunder_at_avestasheffield.com
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 14:03:06 +0000

     As the eternal champion mailing list owner
     I must correct the statement made here.

=20
Ken said that when talking to Greg, it had been stated that times were financially hard for Chaosium, especially after some CCG products underperforming.
=20
Ken believed that certain intellectual properties (ie Pendragon, Glorantha) were being sheltered in different companies.
=20
In other words rather than having all eggs in the Chaosium basket it made sense to keep them legally separate.
=20
He did then say he would not be surprised that Chaosium itself may face serious=20 problems, but that hopefully the key properties would be safe, kept in other companies as they are.
=20
This sounds like good prudence. It also may well be a part of a strategy to refinance Chaosium through the licensing of intellectual properties.
=20
IMHO Chaosium did exactly this when they licensed Gloreantha and sold RuneQuest to Avalon Hill all those years ago. We cannot presume that financial problems lead to collapse. Other gaming companies have had bad financial problems in the past and are still with us. (I believe SJG had some tricky years historically).
=20