Language

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_hol.fr>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 15:55:29 +0200

Alex & Peter on a subject better suited IMO to the [RQ-RULES] list:

So I'll cross-post this one!

> AF>It does raise the question of how similar different langauges from
> >the same "family" are supposed to be in Glorantha. What degree
> >of relatedness are "1/2 chance", "1/3 chance", "1/5 chance" or
> >"1/10 chance" supposed to equate to in terrestrial terms?

> 1/2 is a barely comprehensible dialect.

> 1/3 is an incomprehensible dialect.

> 1/5 is a language within the same subfamily

> 1/10 is a language within the same family

Yes.

> AF>Is my
> >27% English supposed to give me 9% Dutch and Afrikaans, 5% German
> >and 3% in anything even vaguely Indo-European, or what? Since I
> >don't think it'd _quite_ work that way in practice...

> Personally I think the idea of adding the communication bonus onto
> the reduced language skill is a load of crap.

This is another one of those RuneQuest Rules balls-ups. It is of course ludicrous to have postulated that natives speak their own language at 30%. The new french edition of BRP has an 80% basic skill for your own language. *Slightly* more realistic, don't you think? (But I think it ought to be 90%) Barely comprehensible dialects are, then, understood at 40% (+ Comm bonus or not, depending on how crappy you think this idea is), and languages within the same family at 4% (with the addition of your Comm bonus for use of sign language, natural skill, etc.. unless it's crap.) according to Gloranthan BRP.

So, Alex. It looks like you actually have 67% English, not 27% as previously understood ...
But do you have 7% Dutch?
You tell me.

Probably, it's a good idea but the dividing numbers are too small. Perhaps 1/2, 1/5, 1/10, 1/20 instead?
(Only as a rule of thumb of course. In practice, things wouldn't be so deterministic.)

God knows what kind of rule Hero Wars will have!

Our Alex then has 67% chance of understanding his mates, and 4% of understanding a dutchman (always round up!).

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #142