Prax Anxiety

From: Guy Hoyle <ghoyle1_at_airmail.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 16:08:04 -0500

>I'm thinking about running an animal nomad campaign and have a few
>questions.

>For those that have seen Sandy's Shamen rules. Any ideas why a
>Praxian shamen can only attack magically? I don't recall any such
>restriction mentioned before.

I don't think it's a published restriction, but it's an example of how to make shamans Weird and Different.

>Any ideas for a
>major campaign hook? That raising the cradle one a few months back
>was the right kind of scale but I don't think the nomads would be
>that interested in saving it just looting it.

Well, why not loot it, then? Or raid some of the tribes. If you can get ahold of the game "Nomad Gods", that's a game of tribal warfare on the Plains of Prax. IMO, most nomads are interested mainly in increasing their standing in the tribe. They do this by performing acts of bravery (mostly raiding and looting), acquiring wealth (mostly in the form of herds), and acquiring desireable mates (by arranged marriages or by force).

>I'd also prefer to keep
>it mainly in the wastes as the Pavis/Zola Fel area has been done to
>death. Once Argrath leaves for Sartar nothing much happens in the
>wastes (or have I missed something?). I could do a "collect all the
>bits of Tada" campaign but then what do you do, kick in the Basmoli,
>nothing special there, or in a "collect all the great medicine bags"
>campaign.

What about a "Drive the Lunars out of Prax" campaign? Plenty of the tribes, especially the Bison Riders, have no love for the Lunars. You can also try and sneak into the ruins of Old Pavis (the nomads have a traditional interest in the Big Rubble). Inter-tribal conflict can always liven things up. There must be plenty of reasons to go to such places as The Dead Place, the Block, Barbarian Town, Pimper's Block. What about a trading/rading expedition to Giantland? Just because Prax doesn't figure much in post-Cradle times as it does before doesn't mean that nothing significant is going on. (BTW, is this true? Does Prax pretty much drop out of the scheme of things after 1620?)