Western scripts

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 18:00:41 +1200 (NZST)

David Dunham:

>Let's assume that Western is some form of ideographic script (I favor
>something more like hieroglyphics than Chinese, but maybe old Chinese is
>OK).

Hieroglyphics are not examples of an ideographic script. Most of them are used to spell out words in a manner similar to the alphabet.

>(Note of course that, like Japanese, Western could have both a proper
>ideographic system, and a katakana-like system for representing barbaric
>sounds.)

In which case the Brithini would not be using this katakanasque script and thus we would have a visible distinction between the Brithini writing and the writing of most Malkioni.