Languages

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 17:34:18 +1200 (NZST)

Alex Ferguson:

>> Personally I think the idea of adding the communication bonus onto
>> the reduced language skill is a load of crap.

>I forgot about this rule entirely. Though it sort of fits with your
>suggestion that similarly at the 0.2 or 0.1 chance level is at the
>level of SPEAK ENGLISH SLOWLY AND LOUDLY, frantic mime, and attempted
>telepathy. Though the logical extension of _that_ would be that
>you get your CB in even your "00%" tongues.

But that's not really adding a communication bonus to the language IMO. It's more like casting 1 point of the Pamalt spirit spell of comprehension.

Steve:

>>Personally I think the idea of adding the communication bonus onto
>>the reduced language skill is a load of crap.

>Actually, in my experience I think it WOULD do exactly the above.
>Communication is based *lot* on shared cultural assumptions, gestures,
>inflection, body language, etc. A lot of this is implied in the "Speak
>XXX" skill.

In my experience, the shared cultural assumptions, gestures, inflections etc are among the first things to be changed across language barriers. By the time one realises that 'Reich' is NOT pronounced 'rike' in german, one is picking up experience in the language and not simply adding the communication bonus.

>There are many cognates, as well as near-cognates and loan-words.

The trouble with the cognates and loan words is that they tend to end up brutally murdered in a dark alley and thus relying on the meaning that you know can cause mutual confusion.